Saturday, August 28, 2010

The Beckmanns Come to Visit

Nick and Mary Beckmann came this weekend for a visit. Nick and Joe became friends while attending University of Missouri at Rolla and Nick was the best man at our wedding. The Beckmanns have been married for a little over a year. This was Mary's first visit to Alabama and I was a little nervous about having to disprove all the preconceptions of Alabama that she might have developed.

Joe wanted to start our big tour with a trip to Redstone Arsenal; this would not of been my first pick of scenic locations, however we did have a little fun during the tour. We toured an Apache
helicopter and when Joe inspected it further it was unlocked. The boys had a great time playing in the helicopter until security passed us. Thanks to Nick, we were not discovered.


Next we were off to a quick tour of downtown then to shopping. Mary and I enjoyed a little girl time at Bridge Street before hitting Mellow Mushroom for a little pizza.

While Jackson and Charlie napped, Joe and Nick wanted to introduce Mary to the movie Dazed and Confused; I found it a little disturbing that the guys could quote it almost line for line.

After Jackson and Charlie's nap, we headed to the Huntsville Space and Rocket Center to see the Star Wars exhibit. We had been meaning to take Jackson for some time and saw their visit as an opportune time.
Jackson was really excited to see the model of General
Grievous, one of his favorite characters, and to make a levitating ship out of magnets.














I was interested to see what I called the Yeti from Empire Strikes Back because I remember just how scared I was when I watched it . Jackson seemed unfazed by the scary monster, maybe he felt the glass would protect him.

We had a great visit with the Beckmanns and I hope that I was able to dispel some common misconceptions about Alabamians, I guess I started with a huge advantage: she knew Joe and I were not related.

No comments:

Post a Comment